Gone are the days when manual testing was enough to save your technology job in the field of Software Testing. The evolution of Automated software Testing has limited the scope of Testing Jobs. Most firms are hiring Software Development Engineers in Test instead of Manual Software Testers.
The catch here is, you get interviewed and selected for Automated Software Testing but are bound to use Manual software testing methodologies as there is limited scope of Automation Testing in your organization. Now either you can get demotivated, curse your job and slog yourself just for the sake of salary OR you can automate a few pieces by using a few dazzling tools for Automated Software Testing or to do a bit more than Manual Testing.
1. Postman: Postman is a very powerful Software testing software for:
- Snapshot Testing for APIs
- Acing your API tests
- Performance Testing for your APIs
- Consumer-Driven Contract Testing
2. Java: Java is the backbone for automated software testing using Selenium. You can also start learning java by studying Basic Java Tutorials designed specially for Testers
3. Eclipse: Eclipse is an integrated development environment used in computer programming. It contains a base workspace and an extensible plug-in system for customizing the environment. Eclipse can be used as an editor to code, compile and execute Java programs.
4. MTPutty (Multi-Tabbed PuTTY): Most testers use Putty as a SSH client to connect to QA Servers and tail the logs / Change server configurations / Deployments as PuTTY is the most popular SSH client for Windows. MTPuTTY is a *FREE* utility allowing us to wrap multiple PuTTY instances in one tabbed GUI unlike Putty where we have to open one window for each instance.
5. Charles: Charles is an HTTP proxy / HTTP monitor / Reverse Proxy which lets us view entire HTTP and HTTPS requests between the Client and the Server. This includes requests, responses and the Request headers. We can also chain requests, tweak both Request and Response as per our desired test case. Charles is widely used for Mobile App Testing as well.